TOEFL Preparation 3 & 4
The Intro to TOEFL elective is designed to help students in IEP Levels 3 and 4 develop the necessary skills required for the TOEFL test: speaking, listening, writing, and reading. The elective is intensive in nature and requires a lot of work on the students’ part. Students not only develop their language skills, but also have to focus on developing language taking strategies and critical thinking skills that will help them prove to evaluators that they have the required skills needed to study in a North American university. This class uses a curriculum based on the latest version of the TOEFL test.
By the end of the elective, we hope that you will be able to:
- Develop strategies that will help you to activate existing language knowledge and connect it with new information.
- Develop strategies to help you identify problems related to structure.
- Develop reading strategies such as skimming and scanning.
- Develop listening strategies such as listening for key words, making inferences, and identifying main ideas.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Become more comfortable with assessing your own progress.
- Develop test taking strategies that will: a. help you to pace yourself while completing different tasks in a test b. develop your decoding skills in understanding what tests are asking
- Develop strategies that will help you to make connections between what you have learned in class and your experiences in the English-speaking academic world.