Integrated Skills-Level 5
This course is designed to help students improve their English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing beyond the basic level. Students will be able challenged to use language in increasingly more complex and complicated environments.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively in most daily practical and social situations, and in familiar routine work situations, at both concrete and abstract levels.
- Participate in formal and informal conversations, involving problem solving and decision making.
- Speak on familiar concrete topics at a descriptive level and present a detailed analysis or comparison.
- Participate in conversations with confidence.
- Demonstrate an increased ability to respond appropriately to the formality level of a social interaction.
- Understand more complex indirect questions about personal experience, familiar topics and general knowledge.
- Follow main ideas, key words and important details in an authentic two- or three- page text on a familiar but partially predictable topic.
- Read in English for information, to learn the language and to develop reading skills, but also begins to read very simple adult fiction for pleasure.
- Write coherent paragraphs on familiar concrete topics with clear main ideas and some supporting details, and with a developing sense of audience.
- Demonstrate mostly satisfactory control over complex structures, spelling and mechanics.
- Use and understand an expanded inventory of concrete and common idiomatic language.